We are working on a new version of this connector here
The QVSource LinkedIn Connector loads data from the LinkedIn API
directly into your QlikView application.
when using this connector in your own applications.
At present the following data is loaded. This schema is likely to change and improve during the beta meaning you might need to regenerate your QlikView load scripts in QVSource.
The update-type values are explained further on the LinkedIn API docs
NOTE: New tables have now been added which are not present in this screen shot.
PLEASE let us know what data you would like to see in this connector.
On opening the connector you should see something similar to the following:
You should click the 'Authenticate' button and then fill out the fields on the following screen and then allow the connector access to your account.
Once you have done this you should see a key has been set.
On the 'Connector Data' tab you should now be able to view the data in the supported tables and copy and paste
the QlikView load script into your QlikView application.
Here is a screenshot of the demo, which you can download from:
QVSource - LinkedIn Demo Application (Empty) V1.1.qvw
The demo applications is developed using QlikView 9 and if you have QVSource you should just be able to reload it with your own data.
In version 0.9.0.1 of this connector (August 2013) we have added a number of new CompanyStatistics_XXX tables plus an additional MyCompanies table which allows you to easily find the IDs of the companies you are administrating on LinkedIn. Once you have this ID you can enter it into the connector as shown here:
And you should then be able to access any of the CompanyStatistics_XXXX tables, e.g.:
(Note that QVSource caches the data for these tables for 24 hours).
For the table highlighted above we have managed to provide a lookup from the linked in company size codes (A - I) to the more friendly version.
Unfortunately this has not been possible for all the tables yet. You can find a list of industry codes here
which should be useful for the CompanyStatistics_FollowersByIndustry table. However we have not yet found lookup tables for the seniority or function keys.
Advanced Usage - Running Custom REST Requests
In version 0.8.2 of this Connector we introduced a new table which allows any REST request to be sent to the API using the new CustomAPIRequestXMLResponse table.
In order to do this however you will need to spend some time understanding the LinkedIn API in order to construct the request(s) you require (you can find the docs here
As an example let's imagine we would like to run a company search - from the docs here
we find that the REST request for this looks something like this:
So we can try entering:
Into the new field on the Connector's config screen as shown below:
Now on the Data tab we can use the new table to get the raw XML response for this request.
Clicking on the link highlighted in green will copy the request URL to your clipboard - you can then use this as the URL to a Web File as illustrated below:
LinkedIn has quite detailed and strict API usage limits
which unfortunately means that it is likely that you will quickly start seeing the following message box in QVSource with some of the tables (particularly, it seems, on the Updates tables):
If you are loading the same table in your QlikView load script, the load of this table will simply fail.
Unfortunately there is not much which we can do about this. The throttle limits are reset at midnight UTC so you should wait until this has passed before trying again.
You can find more information on the LinkedIn API throttle limits here
Change Log0.9.0.1 - 19/08/2013
0.9.0 - 29/11/2012
- Added MyCompanies and CompanyStatistics_? tables.
0.8.12 - 26/09/2012
- Added new CustomAPIRequestXMLResponse table which allows any arbitrary REST request to be made to the API.
- Minor UI re-arrangemen
0.8.11 - 04/06/2012
- If an error occurs requesting the user's connections, QVSource now makes a second attempt without asking for the member#s url resources.
- Minor tweaks to text in UI.
0.8.10 - 10/04/2012
- Minor UI adjustment to show obscured text label.
0.8.9 - 22/03/2012
- Changed request to member-url-resources in connections table and added memeber_urls column.
- Minor performance improvements (improved clearing up of resources).
0.8.8 - 01/03/2012
- The ????Updates tables now show the data downloaded so far even when the API call quota has been reached. Note however that in a QlikView reload this would still fail.
0.8.7 - 15/12/2011
- Added feature to embed credentials in QlikView script.
0.8.6 - 16/11/2011
- Added GroupMembership, GroupDetails and GroupPosts tables.
0.8.5 - 07/07/2011
- Fixed issue where certain profiles crashed the skills table as they were set to private.
- IndustrialCodeBox_LinkedInConnector now referenced as LinkedInConnector in load script.
0.8.4 - 06/07/2011
- Added app session level caching.
0.8.3 - 21/06/2011
- Added StatusUpdates and ConnectionUpdates tables.
- Also added 'auto generated' raw tables for all discovered other updates. These will probably be temporary and be replaced with 'cleaned' versions similar to StatusUpdates and ConnectionUpdates, in the future.
0.8.2 - 20/06/2011
- Now includes current user in tables.
- Performance improvements.
- Added note to UI about throttling limits.
0.8.1 - 31/05/2011
- Added updates table (this is an initial attempt at getting some network update info in. It appears currently the API only returns updates from a limited period in the past).
- New skills table added and additional columns added to other two tables.